Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Death of Journalism

Back in 2009 I came across an article from the Washington Post which really made me think about how I was going to make a name for myself in the world of journalism.

Give it a read: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009-11-27/opinions/36896285_1_front-pages-newseum-walter-cronkite

For the last 10 years or so I've always done my best to read a newspaper first thing in the morning. It wasn't until I came across this article that I ever really gave much thought to why I was doing that. Every journalism teacher in every journalism class I've ever taken has recommended this practice for the sake of keeping up with the world. As I ran through each page I always found myself caring less and less when a story didn't have a profound affect on me, but I always pushed through that mental block and forged on. I had been hearing since my senior year in high school that journalism was on the wane, but I never wanted to believe it, but then again, I think that's something that anyone who wants to get involved with this as a career feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment